When it comes to makeup, certain things can make a huge difference in application and how the makeup appears on your skin. You can have great products, but they are not going to look their best without the right application and skin prep. These tips are designed to help you achieve the best application possible.
- Make sure to exfoliate your skin 1-2 times a week. This will ensure a smooth surface that your makeup can glide onto evenly.
- Moisturize and prime. This will help your makeup stay in place all day with a smooth and even finish. Let your moisturizer sink in for about 10 minutes before applying your base as this will prevent the two from mixing together and appearing oily.
- Blend, blend, blend! This tip applies to foundation, blush, bronzer, eyeshadow, and all of your makeup applications. It may take a couple extra minutes, but it is absolutely worth it. Once the makeup is set, take the time to really buff the product into the skin so that there are no harsh lines and your makeup is visibly undetectable. This will make your look appear more natural and stay in place longer.
- Choose the right brush and/or sponge. Most of us can’t afford to own tons of brushes, but there are a few that will make a big difference. For a full-coverage foundation, use a dense and thick brush like the Deluxe Foundation Brush. For a lighter application, use a sponge or Duo Fiber Brush. Use a large, soft brush like the Deluxe Blush Brush to buff in blush and bronzer, which will provide an airbrushed look. Lastly, use a brush like the Angled Shadow Brush to blend eyeshadow with precision!
- Start soft and light, then build. Trust us; it is much easier to add product than take it off. Always tap excess product off your brush before applying, and use a light hand when applying. Build the color to your desired look little by little.
- If you are creating a more dramatic eye look, try applying your eye makeup before your foundation and concealer. This time-saver will keep you from getting eyeshadow fallout all over your finished cheeks.
- Don’t forget to set your makeup with a powder, setting spray, or both. You don’t have to get heavy with this step, but blotting on a bit of powder in your oily areas and finishing with a mist will ensure your skin doesn’t get shiny. Plus this step will help your makeup sink in and blend together.
- Always exfoliate and moisturize your lips, especially if you are planning to wear a bold and/or matte lip color. If you have a lip scrub, use that, otherwise you can use sugar (add a drop of olive oil for extra moisture) and your favorite lip balm. This step will help your lipstick from sinking into cracks and drying on your lips.
- Choose the right products for your skin type and tone. We realize this is a very broad tip, however it is important! For example, use a matte foundation and matte bronzer for oily skin and an illuminating foundation and creamy blush for dry skin. If you are both oily and dry, avoid creamier, illuminating products on oily parts of your skin; blotting powders are also highly recommended.
- Finally, embrace your favorite features and highlight them! If you have big, beautiful eyes, try winged liner and a bold color on the lower lash line to bring attention to them. If you have gorgeous, plump lips, be bold with your lip color! If you have beautifully chiseled cheekbones, use a highlighter to define them even more.
Make sure to share these tips with your friends & family!