Hello BH Beauties!
I don’t know about you, but Spring is my favorite time of year! Winter is finally over, everything is in bloom, and I can finally put away my old sweaters and break out my cute summer flats. I’m loving some of the biggest makeup trends this Spring like filled-in brows, matte lips, coral lipstick – pretty much everything!
However, the thing about Spring is that it is so much busier than the last few winter months! There’s graduations, weddings, parties, picnics, etc which means more Instagram moments! I love makeup as much as the next makeup addict, but it means more work in ensuring that my makeup is picture-perfect! An Instagram filter can only do so much!
Luckily, I’ve come up with some hacks for getting picture-perfect makeup without worrying about smudges or bad makeup choices.
- Keep it simple. More makeup means more things to worry about and sometimes it can look silly in pictures.
- Conceal only what is necessary and use a matte foundation. If it’s not matte, it’ll reflect light making your face look really shiny. Not glowing – shiny.
- Make sure you blend blend blend. Pictures will only highlight streaky concealer and foundation, so spend an extra 30 seconds really blending the concealer under your eyes or over that pesky pimple.
- Use black eyeliner and mascara. I love my brown eyeliner, but for pictures contrast is key and the black eyeliner lends itself to creating that extra contrast.
- Don’t skip on blush. If I am wearing foundation, I always make sure to wear blush so that my face doesn’t look flat, but has dimension and looks naturally flushed. Bronzer is important too, but if you’re keeping it simple you can probably get away with just blush. As long as your face doesn’t look flat, decide whether you want to use highlighter, bronzer, and blush or just one or two products.
- Lipstick can be a pain to think about since it can get on your teeth, smudge, or just wear off easily. Instead I opt for a sheer gloss that gives my lips a little bit of color, but it looks natural and its worry free!
- Apply your makeup in natural light. Often I do my makeup in my bathroom, which has ample light – but it isn’t natural light. Then I look in the mirror near my bedroom window and wonder what I was thinking. Don’t make that mistake.
Hopefully those tips are helpful as you get Instagram-ready in the morning!
Hello BH Beauties!
Those of us with full brows are thrilled with this year’s trend of filling in your brows. Thin eyebrows are out and thicker, fuller brows are all over the runway!
If you missed it, BH released a really great brow trio a few months ago, and I’ve been playing around with it. Whether you have full brows that simply need a little definition, or light, thin brows that need a lot of attention, my step-by-step process is perfect for any beginner who needs a little help.
- Start by brushing out your brows with an upward motion. You need a Spooley Brush or a dual-sided brow brush/eyelash comb for this. This will make sure that your eyebrow hairs are all detangled, smooth, and clean-looking.
- Use the angled side of the brush to outline your brows and create a nice line on the bottom of your brow from the corner to the middle of the brow.
- You can use the powder to create the line or the wax to create a more defined line that will stay in place better.
- Use the flat side of the brush to fill in sparse areas and fill out the end of your brow with the powder.
- Finish by brushing over your brows with the wax to hold it in place.
Michelle from ReadySetGlamour has an awesome YouTube Tutorial of how to use this brow trio for a flawless, polished look. It’s a quick and easy process that anyone can do.
Give her some love and then show me your looks on Instagram!
Happy Birthday May Beauties!
What a gorgeous time of year to have a birthday, right at the peak of Spring season. The sun is starting to shine, flowers are starting to bloom, and we are ready to come out from behind our scarves and be bold with our beauty choices! This is the perfect time to experiment with the color of emerald, the birthstone of May! Here is a little background on emerald. The emerald is known to be the symbol of rebirth and it is believed to be connected to foresight, good fortune, and youth.
There are several ways to rock this deep green color and we have the tools you need to make it happen! Start with the new Eyes on the ‘80s Eyeshadow Palette, a palette which represents an era of no-fear, reinvention and youth. This palette has some stunning green shades which are perfect for your emerald look. Dare to make this look even bolder? Apply some of our Correcting Eye Primer then dab on some of our Loose Glitter in Jungle Green to the center of the lid and you’ll be sure to turn heads. For a more subtle pop of emerald, create a small wing with our Gel Eyeliner in Forest or apply some of our Eye Crayon in Huntress to the lower lash line.
We can’t wait to see your emerald-inspired looks, so make sure to share them with us!
There is no denying we have all had those mornings where we: slept in too late, spent too much time watching our YouTube beauty gurus, or took 15 extra minutes to make a decent breakfast, leaving ourselves only a few minutes to put our face on and head out the door. Here are 5 tips for when you only have 5 minutes to get ready.
- Be selective with where you really want to apply makeup. Do you have great skin, but tired eyes? Use your time to apply mascara and fill in your brows to wake up your eyes.
- Applying a full face of foundation can eat up your minutes. Instead, take a high-coverage concealer, only, to your problem areas and blend. This will still make you look put-together without taking a long time!
- Opt for a sheer lip gloss rather than a highly-pigmented lipstick. You can apply this without even looking in the mirror and will add an instant pop to your look.
- Don’t skip your cheek product(s). Blush or bronzer can instantly liven up your face, giving you a natural flush. Keep in mind that if you only use concealer or your foundation your skin may appear flat.
- Stash a few makeup goodies in your purse. You can always touch up a bit during your bathroom break if you really want to add that winged liner or bold lip!
Spring has sprung and this season is all about orange lips! We’ve seen this look on the runway, on our fave celebs, even at the mall or the beach! Whether you’re out on a Friday for girls’ night or heading to a lunch date on a sunny Tuesday, this look suits any occasion when worn correctly and it really brightens up the face.
The great thing about swiping on an orange-hued lip color is that you don’t have to do much with the rest of your makeup. Dab on a little concealer to even things out, apply some mascara, and the bright lips will do the rest and tie everything together seamlessly. The trick is finding the right orange for your skin tone. We’ve put together some quick tips to keep in mind while you shop!
- If you are fair-skinned with blue undertones, this look is perfect for you. Try a bright, true orange to really stand out!
- For fair skin with yellow undertones, go for a coral. This will pack a punch but still look natural with your skin tone.
- Go straight up neon when it comes to golden skin tones. Have fun with this! The contrast is eye-catching and gorgeous.
- As far as olive skin tones, warm oranges or apricot shades work best. This pop of color will enhance your natural skin tone and look stunning.
- For darker skin tones, go for a red based orange. This looks fresh and will be sure to turn heads!
- If you’re having a hard time finding the right color, a sheer toned melon hue is universally beautiful on all skin tones. A gloss or tinted lip balm in this color will be flawless! It will give you a little lip color without overwhelming.
To pick up something great right here on the site, some of our favorite BH orange toned lip colors include the Crème Luxe Lipsticks in Coral Escape and Sweet Mango as well as the 66 Color Lip Gloss Palette to create your own perfect shade! Good luck BH beauties and have fun rockin’ a bold orange lip this Spring!
When it comes to makeup, certain things can make a huge difference in application and how the makeup appears on your skin. You can have great products, but they are not going to look their best without the right application and skin prep. These tips are designed to help you achieve the best application possible.
- Make sure to exfoliate your skin 1-2 times a week. This will ensure a smooth surface that your makeup can glide onto evenly.
- Moisturize and prime. This will help your makeup stay in place all day with a smooth and even finish. Let your moisturizer sink in for about 10 minutes before applying your base as this will prevent the two from mixing together and appearing oily.
- Blend, blend, blend! This tip applies to foundation, blush, bronzer, eyeshadow, and all of your makeup applications. It may take a couple extra minutes, but it is absolutely worth it. Once the makeup is set, take the time to really buff the product into the skin so that there are no harsh lines and your makeup is visibly undetectable. This will make your look appear more natural and stay in place longer.
- Choose the right brush and/or sponge. Most of us can’t afford to own tons of brushes, but there are a few that will make a big difference. For a full-coverage foundation, use a dense and thick brush like the Deluxe Foundation Brush. For a lighter application, use a sponge or Duo Fiber Brush. Use a large, soft brush like the Deluxe Blush Brush to buff in blush and bronzer, which will provide an airbrushed look. Lastly, use a brush like the Angled Shadow Brush to blend eyeshadow with precision!
- Start soft and light, then build. Trust us; it is much easier to add product than take it off. Always tap excess product off your brush before applying, and use a light hand when applying. Build the color to your desired look little by little.
- If you are creating a more dramatic eye look, try applying your eye makeup before your foundation and concealer. This time-saver will keep you from getting eyeshadow fallout all over your finished cheeks.
- Don’t forget to set your makeup with a powder, setting spray, or both. You don’t have to get heavy with this step, but blotting on a bit of powder in your oily areas and finishing with a mist will ensure your skin doesn’t get shiny. Plus this step will help your makeup sink in and blend together.
- Always exfoliate and moisturize your lips, especially if you are planning to wear a bold and/or matte lip color. If you have a lip scrub, use that, otherwise you can use sugar (add a drop of olive oil for extra moisture) and your favorite lip balm. This step will help your lipstick from sinking into cracks and drying on your lips.
- Choose the right products for your skin type and tone. We realize this is a very broad tip, however it is important! For example, use a matte foundation and matte bronzer for oily skin and an illuminating foundation and creamy blush for dry skin. If you are both oily and dry, avoid creamier, illuminating products on oily parts of your skin; blotting powders are also highly recommended.
- Finally, embrace your favorite features and highlight them! If you have big, beautiful eyes, try winged liner and a bold color on the lower lash line to bring attention to them. If you have gorgeous, plump lips, be bold with your lip color! If you have beautifully chiseled cheekbones, use a highlighter to define them even more.
Make sure to share these tips with your friends & family!
Just a few years ago lipstick was reserved for our mothers and only very special occasions. Now, it’s the hottest trend on the market in the past year. However, no lipstick is better than bad lipstick. Here are some of our tips and tricks to getting perfect lips.
Not taking care of your lips.
You want your lipstick to look clean without cracks or breaks. That’s why it’s important to exfoliate and moisturize your lips everyday. Even a light exfoliation and deep moisturizer to get rid of dead skin and dirt will help your lipstick last longer and keep your lips from drying out and cracking.
Not highlighting or lining your lips.
Keep the color from bleeding by lining your lips with a lip liner (the same color or your lip color) or a concealer. You can take it an extra step further and use a highlighter on your lips to make them stand out and look bigger.
Wearing a full face of makeup.
Many people believe that wearing a full face of makeup is necessary for lipstick. Not so fast! Lipstick can work for a casual look if you keep the rest of your makeup neutral, simple, or even barefaced.
Not picking the right shade for your skin tone.
Not every trend looks good on every skin tone, and a gorgeous color on your best friend could be disastrous on you. If you have warm undertones, choose a color with gold or brown undertones. Cooler skin tones should pick lipsticks with blueish tones.
Over-glossing your lips.
Gloss will make your lips look bigger – great right? Not always. Even if you have thin lips, it’ll look unnatural. Instead use a light gloss or simply gloss in the center of your lips – a great technique for enhancing thin lips.
Whether you’re wearing a bold lip color (like these purple lips), a classic pink, or rockin’ the nude lip, make sure to follow these tips for the optimal look!
This spring, we’re all about gorgeous pops of color, especially purple lips! You know what they say – Go bold or go home! Okay, so maybe no one says that. But really, magenta, violet, orchid lips? We’re all about that one thing that really sets your look apart, and this Spring it’s that color!
We can’t get enough of this trend, and we just released our newest lipstick shade, Vixen, to go along with it!
It’s a bold color, but if you’re daring enough to try it, here are the rules to follow:
- Match your skin tone. If you have warm undertones, pick a purple that has reddish tones while those with cool undertones can choose a purple with blues in it.
- Outline your lips with lip liner to keep the bright color from bleeding.
- Bold colors don’t have to make your lips look thinner! Try using a highlighter to outline your lips or dab a little concealer around them to erase smudges and uneven lines.
- Keep your eye makeup neutral to draw all the attention to your perfect pout. You don’t want to have an overbearing look, so keep it simple girls!
- Although many would claim that having a bright lip requires a flawless face, we disagree! Keep your look casual (and not red carpet) by toning down your face.
We all have those days where our basic concealer just doesn’t cut it. Maybe you stayed up late working on a project due the next morning, or your skin is just breaking out more than normal. Days like this calls for a little extra help from your concealer and corrector collection.
If you know a little bit about the color wheel, choosing the right concealer for your skin will be much simpler. Green is directly opposite red on the color wheel, making it the perfect solution to excess redness, pimples, bruises, and more.
Depending on your skin tone, different shades of green are appropriate. If you have lighter skin with blue or pink undertones, a light green or mint green will work best. Those with yellow undertones or medium-dark skin should look for a yellow-green or almost olive color.
You can see the difference here in the BH Cosmetics “Light” Concealer Corrector Palette in “Light”, “Medium” and “Dark” variety of shades.
Light, Medium and Dark Concealer Palettes
How To Apply Green Corrector
Focus on putting just a small layer of green corrector over the red areas, pimples and acne. Then cover it with your regular tan concealer, blending it outwards to create an even skin tone.
If you are using green corrector under your eyes, cover it with your regular concealer and take it down the side of your nose and to the outer corner of your eye to create a “triangle”. Blend, blend, blend!
Happy Spring, April babes!
With the spring season in full swing, we can’t help but notice what a beautiful time it is to be celebrating your birthday! Speaking of beautiful, April’s birthstone is the beautiful diamond – a symbol for everlasting love. Now it makes sense why diamonds are a girl’s best friend! Like the diamond, April babies are admired by everyone because they are loving, caring, generous, and good at consoling people.
Make sure you feel your well-deserved love on your birthday by creating your best diamond-inspired look. Start off with a flawless base using our Liquid Foundation and 6 Color Concealer & Corrector Palette. For your eye makeup, create a grey or silver look using our 88 Color Tropical Shimmer Palette which has an array of shimmery grays and neutrals. Add even more sparkle to your eye makeup with our ‘Silver’ or ‘Platinum’ glitter from our Glitter Collection. Sweep on a little bit of color to your cheeks using our Floral Blush Duo in ‘Daisy’.
Don’t forget your lips! With such a sparkly, festive eye, keep your lips neutral with our Crème Luxe Lipstick in ‘Forever Nude’. Feeling extra sparkly? Paint your nails with our self-explanatory ‘Metal’ polish from our 10pc Nail Lacquer Mystery Collection.
Although we’re sure you didn’t need such a sparkly look to get attention and love from your friends, this diamond-inspired look will without a doubt make you look and feel like a million bucks – or a million diamonds! Have fun celebrating and we hope you have an amazing birthday!