June is the month of the pearl, and it couldn’t get more classic than this! This timeless birthstone represents loyalty, faithfulness, and friendship, modesty and purity. Beautiful June babes have it so good, since pearl can be worn so many ways!
Of course, our favorite way to represent your birthstone is through makeup! We have some tips to give you that gorgeous pearlescent glow. Our first favorite is the 88 Color Shimmer Eyeshadow Palette. This palette offers some gorgeous, iridescent, cool-toned shades to create a simple yet eye-catching look. Use the shades on the upper left side of the palette in the inner corner or lower lash line for an angelic and innocent shimmer. Just a little bit of that shimmer around your eyes can make them look bigger and brighter and enhance your natural beauty!
Next, take the highlight shade in the center of the Forever Nude Palette to the tops of the cheekbones. If you prefer more of a pink highlight for a natural flush, try mixing the top two shades of the Bombshell Bronze in Starlet over your cheeks. Top off the look with a perfect, glossy pout using our Lip Gloss in Angel Kiss. With this look your friends will surely ask for your fresh-faced secret!
Happy Birthday June Babes & be sure to share these tips with your other June friends!
If you’re just starting out in makeup, or getting serious about skincare, you may be thinking about adding primer to your makeup routine. Foundation primer is key to setting your makeup and ensuring that it will be long-lasting and secure on your skin. It helps create an even surface to apply your makeup and certain kinds can be used as a color-corrector as well.
Here are the steps I follow with my face routine and some advice for using foundation primer.
- Exfoliate, cleanse, moisturize. Without good skin care, your makeup isn’t going to last and you’ll have a lot more to conceal once you get older. Make sure you let your skin absorb your moisturizer for a few minutes before applying any more products.
- Use a small amount of primer (pea-size, or one pump) and apply it evenly over your face – you can use your fingers or a sponge. You can dot it over your face and apply it from there, or use whatever method you prefer. Try to use upward circular motions to apply your primer. Downward motions will pull at your skin and contribute to sagging down the road.
- Wait a few minutes for it to sink in and dry. Depending on the primer, you may not be able to apply it around your eyes or on your lips. You can get another eye primer and lip primer for that.
- Apply your foundation and concealer. If you are using a liquid foundation, you should consider applying a finishing powder overtop to seal your foundation in and prevent it from coming off over the day.
- Combine your foundation and primer together for translucent coverage. This is great for the summer and letting your skin breathe a little more.
- Use a tinted primer to correct unwanted color. Pinks and lilacs will both brighten your skin and green formulas will neutralize redness.
I’d love to hear your tips too! Leave them in the comments!
Hello BH beauties!
Instagram via Michael Silva
How many of you were browsing through Instagram last week for Kim Kardashian and Kanye West’s wedding? Even though official pictures haven’t been released, we got a few sneak peeks at the crazy over-the-top extravagant wedding through guests’ Instagrams.
Just from a few pictures of the wedding and what her makeup artist, Mario Dedivanovic, has said – her look is pretty simple and can be easily replicated.
Use liquid eyeliner to create that perfect winged eye – just a little, not too much. Then replicate her sultry smoky eye makeup with your favorite combination of smoky neutrals and shimmers and finish with false lashes and a few coats of mascara.
Kim played up her eyes and kept her lips neutral with a nude lipstick like my favorite, Forever Nude. Her lips look gorgeous, so make sure to exfoliate, prime, and then finish with a sheer gloss to get the same plump look as her.
Her eyes are gorgeous, but her cheekbones are to die for! Highlight and contour using your favorite blush – I love the 10 color professional palette – and highlight on your cheekbones, and contour underneath your cheekbones.
I love how simple and glamorous this look is.Is this a look you would consider for your big day?
It’s nearly summertime and depending on where you live, you may have already experienced temperatures in the triple digits. As the heat begins to swelter, it is important to revisit your beauty routine as certain looks will no longer work. For example, that smokey-eye and heavily-pigmented lipstick will slip and slide right off the second hot weather hits. No one wants their mascara on their chin, so we have come up with a game plan to keep you fresh and bright during these hot and humid months. Grab your makeup bag and a glass of lemonade and let’s get ready for summer!
- As your very first step, it is important to deeply cleanse your skin. Massage your favorite cleanser into your skin and take your time. This will help prevent and combat oil throughout the day by starting you off with a clean base.
- Use a primer. Primers will create a barrier between your moisturizer and makeup and give your makeup something to cling to. It creates a smooth surface to prep the face for makeup application and will increase lasting power.
- Go waterproof as much as you can. When humidity strikes and sweating (naturally) commences, you want your makeup to stay put. Waterproof gel eyeliner pencils will be a savior for you! You can even double the pencil as a waterproof eyeshadow by applying it to your lid and smudging it with your finger. For more pigmentation eye crayons are great options for replacing powdered eyeshadow in the heat.
- Don’t forget SPF to protect your skin! Use some underneath your liquid foundation or mix some with a liquid concealer to create your own tinted moisturizer. Time in the sun can cause lots of damage to your skin and we don’t want that!
- Try a stain on your lips instead of lipstick or lip gloss. You can even create your own stain by filling in your lips with a waterproof lip liner. Use a lip liner to lightly line and fill in the lips and if you feel the need for a bit more color, dab on a bit of your favorite lip gloss shade.
- Pilling on powder throughout the day to combat shine will only make your skin look cakey and unnatural. If you are trying to remove shine we recommend blotting papers. Blotting papers will be your best friend when taking away shine. Plus, it won’t smudge the makeup you already have on.
You’re ready for summer!
If you thought these tips were helpful be sure to share them with all of your friends!
Hello BH Beauties!!
Matte lips are one of the biggest trends this spring and we are loving them! Not only are they super chic, but they are nice way to wear makeup without feeling too made up. Even better – it’s not a hard look to achieve!
It’s super important that you’re taking care of your lips because matte lips will accentuate cracked and peeling lips! (Don’t forget my other tips for taking care of your lips!) So make sure you exfoliate and then hydrate your lips. You can use any lip exfoliator, or make your own with brown sugar and olive oil or coconut oil.
Line your lips or shade them in with a liner (like one of our waterproof lip liners) – this helps your lipstick set and stay put.
Apply your favorite lipstick and then blot it with a tissue to remove excess.
Take a clean tissue and put it over your lips – just one layer because two is too thick. Then dust a translucent powder over your lips. Just enough will go through the tissue to give you that matte effect. Press your lips together to put the powder in place and then gently blow out to get rid of any excess powder.
You’re done! That was easy, right?
For extra definition around your lips, use a highlighter in your cupids bow and around your mouth.
Try it out and let me know what you think!
Hello BH Beauties!
Do you ever get stuck in a makeup rut and can’t seem to get out? You get comfortable with one look and aren’t interested in trying something new. Been there! My go-to look is winged eyeliner with a little bit of a rose gold shimmer eyeshadow – barely there, but enough to add some dimension to the look. But… I’ve been wearing that look for months now!
Recently I’ve been inspired to change it up a bit. I have brown eyes; so blue eye makeup is great for my coloring. I pulled out the new Eyes on the 80’s Palette and started with the cream eye shadow all over my lids and highlighting the under my brow. Apply the purply-blue color (far left) to the outer corners of your eyes to about halfway across the lid. Then take the pink shimmer and apply it to the inner corners of your eyes to halfway across the lids and blend the pink and blue colors. If it’s a little too “blue” for you, try toning it down with a little bit of the silver eyeshadow.
I lined my eyes with a little bit of liquid eyeliner and finished the look with a few coats of the BH Cosmetics mascara.
For the rest of my face, I used a light pink blush on the apples of my cheeks so I didn’t look washed out. (I like Daisy and Lilac)
To finish off the look I used a light pink lip color. (Studious or Knock-Out lip glosses or Tea Time lipstick would both work, although it depends on your coloring). For my coloring, I chose Forever Nude because although it’s a nude lip color, it has pink undertones in it, which is really flattering on me.
What do you think? Have you done a look like this?
To Start: Whether you are young and ready to start playing around with makeup or you have just developed an interest and aren’t sure where to start, we have put together a collection of products we recommend you combine to create your first starter kit. Two of our greatest recommendations for beginners would be the […]
Hello BH Beauties!
I don’t know about you, but Spring is my favorite time of year! Winter is finally over, everything is in bloom, and I can finally put away my old sweaters and break out my cute summer flats. I’m loving some of the biggest makeup trends this Spring like filled-in brows, matte lips, coral lipstick – pretty much everything!
However, the thing about Spring is that it is so much busier than the last few winter months! There’s graduations, weddings, parties, picnics, etc which means more Instagram moments! I love makeup as much as the next makeup addict, but it means more work in ensuring that my makeup is picture-perfect! An Instagram filter can only do so much!
Luckily, I’ve come up with some hacks for getting picture-perfect makeup without worrying about smudges or bad makeup choices.
- Keep it simple. More makeup means more things to worry about and sometimes it can look silly in pictures.
- Conceal only what is necessary and use a matte foundation. If it’s not matte, it’ll reflect light making your face look really shiny. Not glowing – shiny.
- Make sure you blend blend blend. Pictures will only highlight streaky concealer and foundation, so spend an extra 30 seconds really blending the concealer under your eyes or over that pesky pimple.
- Use black eyeliner and mascara. I love my brown eyeliner, but for pictures contrast is key and the black eyeliner lends itself to creating that extra contrast.
- Don’t skip on blush. If I am wearing foundation, I always make sure to wear blush so that my face doesn’t look flat, but has dimension and looks naturally flushed. Bronzer is important too, but if you’re keeping it simple you can probably get away with just blush. As long as your face doesn’t look flat, decide whether you want to use highlighter, bronzer, and blush or just one or two products.
- Lipstick can be a pain to think about since it can get on your teeth, smudge, or just wear off easily. Instead I opt for a sheer gloss that gives my lips a little bit of color, but it looks natural and its worry free!
- Apply your makeup in natural light. Often I do my makeup in my bathroom, which has ample light – but it isn’t natural light. Then I look in the mirror near my bedroom window and wonder what I was thinking. Don’t make that mistake.
Hopefully those tips are helpful as you get Instagram-ready in the morning!
Hello BH Beauties!
Those of us with full brows are thrilled with this year’s trend of filling in your brows. Thin eyebrows are out and thicker, fuller brows are all over the runway!
If you missed it, BH released a really great brow trio a few months ago, and I’ve been playing around with it. Whether you have full brows that simply need a little definition, or light, thin brows that need a lot of attention, my step-by-step process is perfect for any beginner who needs a little help.
- Start by brushing out your brows with an upward motion. You need a Spooley Brush or a dual-sided brow brush/eyelash comb for this. This will make sure that your eyebrow hairs are all detangled, smooth, and clean-looking.
- Use the angled side of the brush to outline your brows and create a nice line on the bottom of your brow from the corner to the middle of the brow.
- You can use the powder to create the line or the wax to create a more defined line that will stay in place better.
- Use the flat side of the brush to fill in sparse areas and fill out the end of your brow with the powder.
- Finish by brushing over your brows with the wax to hold it in place.
Michelle from ReadySetGlamour has an awesome YouTube Tutorial of how to use this brow trio for a flawless, polished look. It’s a quick and easy process that anyone can do.
Give her some love and then show me your looks on Instagram!
Happy Birthday May Beauties!
What a gorgeous time of year to have a birthday, right at the peak of Spring season. The sun is starting to shine, flowers are starting to bloom, and we are ready to come out from behind our scarves and be bold with our beauty choices! This is the perfect time to experiment with the color of emerald, the birthstone of May! Here is a little background on emerald. The emerald is known to be the symbol of rebirth and it is believed to be connected to foresight, good fortune, and youth.
There are several ways to rock this deep green color and we have the tools you need to make it happen! Start with the new Eyes on the ‘80s Eyeshadow Palette, a palette which represents an era of no-fear, reinvention and youth. This palette has some stunning green shades which are perfect for your emerald look. Dare to make this look even bolder? Apply some of our Correcting Eye Primer then dab on some of our Loose Glitter in Jungle Green to the center of the lid and you’ll be sure to turn heads. For a more subtle pop of emerald, create a small wing with our Gel Eyeliner in Forest or apply some of our Eye Crayon in Huntress to the lower lash line.
We can’t wait to see your emerald-inspired looks, so make sure to share them with us!